Sunday, January 25, 2009

Spending Money, then Realizing I Have None to Spend

Last night I had a bit of a social crisis. After going to smoke hookah at this really cool (figuratively and literally...we had to smoke outside next to space heaters), we didn't know what to do with out Saturday night. Kim, Dan, Mariel, Clare, Liz and I pregamed in my room and were trying to figure out what to do. We haven't really figured out the social scene here. It's really hard to meet GW students because we don't have any classes with them, and it doesn't really seem like people have big parties or like everyone goes to the same bars. So we basically called all of the people we know here and nothing was going on. After reading lots and lots of Yelp reviews and deciding to rush sororities (and researching them on Juicy Campus) to meet people, we settled on going to karaoke.

We took the metro over to Dupont Circle, and there was this guy right out side the escalator that looked like he was dead. I called 911, and they seemed really reluctant to go out and check.

Anyway, we walked over to the karaoke bar, but they didn't have any tables, so they sent us downstairs to the restaurant. The decor was really cool, but there was no one there, so we just got drinks and waited for them to call us up for a table. When the waiter checked my ID he was like "Mikiko? I know a Mikiko!" And I was like wtf....I've never met another one. After a few long island iced teas and some random conversations with our waiter, we got a table and moved upstairs. There was supposed to be a cover, which could be counted towards drinks, but I was already doing well, so I talked the woman down to 2 drinks for the group. I ordered a sake bomb, but they didn't do them and just gave me a huge beer and a big thing of sake. Basically, the whole place was a shitshow and amazing. Everyone was getting up and singing every song and dancing. I've learned that all the places that get bad reviews on Yelp are the ones I love. People give 1 star and say stuff like "This place is full of sloppy college students and is like a frat party," but that's 5 stars in my book! Turns out that this Mikiko person is the owner of the place, and he comes up to me and starts talking to me in Japanese. I couldn't say too much, but kept repeating "Thank you very much" because that's all my drunken self could remember.

Cabbed it back and fell asleep on my couch before moving to bed.

In the morning I woke up and realized just how much money I've spent since I've been here. I looked for jobs online, and it looked kind of bleak, so my roommate and I decided to walk around and give out our resumes. I didn't bring a printer and hers broke, so we had to spend $8.00 printing out our resumes at the library. We then applied at Starbucks, and bought coffee. So at this point we are down about $12 for our job hunt. The next Starbucks we apply to then offers us free coffee. Damn. Anyway, after filling out about a million job applications and not getting anything promising sounding, we we kind of depressed. But then we went to Barnes and Noble and they sounded like they would actually get back to us. Then we applied to Banana Republic and actually got interviews on the spot! I have mine tomorrow at 3. I also am potentially going to work at a crepe place. We'll see how things pan out. Hopefully something comes through soon though, because my bank accounts are perilously low.

Anyway, I better get started on the paper I have to write tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment